What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic Violence is a pattern of behavior used to establish power & control over another person through fear and intimidation, including the use of threats or violence.
What does abuse include?
When people think of domestic violence most of the time they are thinking about the survivor experiencing physical abuse. However, domestic violence is not only limited to physical violence and can also include:
- Psychological/emotional abuse – jokes, insults, humiliation, isolation from family and friends, aggressor blames survivor for causing abuse.
- Sexual abuse – pressures survivor to have sex, sexual objectification, forced pornography.
- Reproductive Cohesion – Refusing to use condom, sabotaging survivor’s birth control, monitoring menstrual cycle.
- Financial abuse – survivor isn’t allowed to work, denies access to bank account or finance.
- Stalking – follows survivor and monitors where survivor goes.
What are some signs of abuse?
Red flags and warning signs of abuse include but are not limited to:
- Extreme jealousy
- Checking phone or social media accounts without permission
- Putting you down especially in front of others
- Isolating you from friends and family
- Jealous or insecurities
- Explosive outburst or mood swings
- Any physical harm
- Breaking materials such as punching walls breaking doors or throwing object.
What are patterns of abuse? (In regards to power and control wheel)
- Using emotional abuse
- Using isolation
- Minimizing, denying and blame
- Using children
- Using male privilege
- Using economic abuse
- Using coercion and threats
- Using intimidation
How does abuse affect victims?
- Violence can cause long term mental and physical problems not only to the victim but to children as well.
- Violence can affect your work, you home life, your education and children
- Some long term health problems include: arthritis, asthma, chronic pain, digestive problems, heart problems, IBS, nightmares and insomnia, migraines, pain during sex, stress, and problems with immune system.
- Some short term health problems include: vaginal bleeding or pelvic pain, unwanted pregnancy, STIs and trouble sleeping and nightmares.